Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

{the good}
We may have sold our house! The house is officially under contract and we are waiting to hear back from the buyer after the building inspection.  We settled on a price that is a little lower than what we wanted but decided that we would save money in the long run by not having to pay utilities, mortgage, etc., waiting for another buyer.  Please join us in praying that the deal would go through with no hitches!{the bad}
We received confirmation today that Noah's disorder is, in fact, a leukodystrophy.  He tested positive for Alexander Disease.  We had begun to hope in recent days that his condition was developmental and not genetic, which would mean that we would not see any further degeneration of his brain.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  We are glad to finally put a name to the disorder and are anxious to begin researching possible treatments available.  I'll post more information as we learn it.  

{the ugly}
This mess of papers represents all of the insurance claims/bills for Noah's medical treatment in the last month and a half.  I am learning more than I care to about the medical insurance industry and have had my share of frustrations in the last few weeks.  At the top of my list is the audacity of an insurance company to bill us for out-of-network charges for a doctor randomly chosen to participate in an in-network hospital procedure!  Arrggh.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Deb. What a roller coaster. Praying for you on many fronts. Linda

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. I process claims for an insurance company. Depending on what type of insurance plan you have, your insurance company may adjust the claim for you. Chances are the provider didn't submit a referral for the services but if a referral can be verified the claim could be considered at the in network benefit. Check with customer service at your insurance company to see if there was any information lacking on your claim. I know people feel insurance companies can be cold hearted, but at least in my company we try to give the member the best benefit. As a claims processor, I try to do whatever I can to pay each claim to the fullest benefit I possibly can. I pray for the people who are sick and have even shed tears for those who couldn't be helped. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Guestbook

The Lauer Family