Sunday, February 17, 2008

I do believe...

Mark 9:17-24
A man in the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not."
"O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."
 
So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"
"From childhood," he answered. "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But
if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."
"'
If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "
I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

I have always loved this passage from the Gospel of Mark.  Mostly because I identify so closely with the boy's father... I believe but am still haunted by my own lack of faith.  Our journey with Noah reminds me every day of this tension.  I know the Lord can heal Noah, to regenerate the damaged parts of his brain, to show us a miracle... but at the same time I doubt, wrestle with unbelief, and question God's plan.  The cry of my heart, especially now, continues to be, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Noah has had a pretty good weekend, although he is still vomiting from time to time.  The pain from his surgery seems to have passed and we go to the doctor tomorrow to have his stitches removed.  My mom arrives tomorrow evening, which both Noah and I are very excited about! This will be our last full week in St. Louis!

Some new prayer requests:  Josh's parents headed down to Tuscaloosa today.  For those of you who did not know, we are blessed to have them relocating with us and know they will be an awesome support as we watch Noah grow.  Please pray that they are able to find a place to live quickly and that Eddie can find suitable employment.  They will return to St. Louis for Noah's baptism and then finish moving their stuff the following week.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a blessing deb! are your in-laws moving b/c of noah's condition or were they always planning on it? that brought tears to my eyes at the thought of them giving up their life here to move with you. what an incredible blessing to have family support in a new city! you are constantly in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Happy Half Birthday Noah!!

Jodie Allen said...

not that you have ANY time to do anything, but I wanted you to know that I gave you a blog award tonight! you deserve it b/c of how brave you have been in blogging about what's going on right now and rather than give you a task, i just wanted to recognize you.

Guestbook

The Lauer Family